‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Monday, September 27, 2010

Our Apartment Building

I know that my mom, for one, has been worried about where we are living. No need. We are in the most upscale part of Kemerovo, though I hate to admit that. but I chose it because it is also the safest location, and that is important to me, and to my mom!

So here are some photos of our building, as requested. it's nice. if you've been to Kemerovo, you know we are very lucky to live on Vessenya Street. The first door in this photo is the one we use to get up to our apt.
Looking straight up, you can see our bedroom window. It is the top window in the middle column of windows...


If you stand at our front door and look to the left towards the entrance gate, this is the view...


And finally, the piece de resistance, here is our view out the back of the apt, towards the river and memorial. Those of you who have adopted from here will recognize this local landmark...

There always seem to be military people  practicing marching here, and today was no different. These are young girls learning how to march. If you look closely, you can see the poofy white signature hair ribbons on their head! The memorial is to the men lost in WWII. There is an eternal flame there, though you cant see it very well in this photo.

Hopefully this post will put my mom at ease. I know it's always easier to know exactly where your children are.


10 comments:

  1. Oddly beautiful and slum-like all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri,
    I love your apartment view! Have you met any new neighbors yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say hello from home! Thinking of you all often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Keri, your posts make me want to:

    1. Wake up my kids to tell them I love them
    2. Go Back to Russia to adopt again.
    3. Kiss the ground I am on right now.
    3. Hug my dog.
    4. Gorge on good ole American food

    I hope you are doing well! It sounds like you and your girls are making some progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks pretty swank. Glad to hear that you are safe and sound and even have the military watching your backs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerimama - Just wanted to offer you a US/American contact in the Kemerovo Region. I have very dear pastor friends that have a wonderful ministry for orphaned teens & recovering adults in Novokuznetsk (3 hours from Kemerovo City). I met the pastor & Carter Conlan (Times Square Church, NYC) at the hotel I stayed in when I adopted my ds in 2004. Pastor Conlan ministered during an open air service supported by the Novokuznetsk Church during the week I was in Novok on 2nd trip with my ds. The Novokuznetsk church/pastor's ministry is just amazing. The wife of the pastor is from the US and a wonderful person (I have kept in personal contact with her for 6 years). The pastor has many contacts in Kemerovo City where you are staying. I can assure you (without any hesitation) that my friends are trustworthy, loving & willing to help in anyway they can. They helped me when I had a birth family situation in a small village outside Kemerovo City. They are wonderful, Christian people that have a heart for the orphaned teens of Kemerovo. I would be more than happy to give J.B. (wife) your contact information. I can also send you some of their monthly newsletters that details their ministry to the teens of Kemerovo.

    I will be praying for you during this time. Just let me know if you feel this contact would be of help to your situation.

    Bless you & your daughters!

    novokbb2@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so nice! And what a view!

    (Funny how the inside of the building and the outside don't match at all.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, beautiful location!!!!

    Your posts make me want to go and do likewise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat view! I read on an earlier post that you crave comments, so here you go! Keep on going, you're a brave, wonderful caring woman from what I have read and God bless you for doing what you can for those children.
    Can I ask you to explain though, I know you said you were going to place children with hosting families in the U.S. at Christmas, how does it help them, isn't it just heartbreaking in the end when they have to go back. . .for everyone involved? How does it help? You can send me an email if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, I'm writing you a comment in hopes that your homesickness won't be too ugly.

    Your posts are also incredible! I can't imagine all the experiences your going through but they won't be fogotten that's for sure.

    I am also glad to hear that Anya is opening up to you guys (she has such a pretty name too, reminds me of Anastasia, since Anya was her nickname, though I don't know if it's spelled the same way.)

    I wish you guys the best and prayers are coming for a safe and speedy journey home :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!