‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Monday, August 23, 2010

Siberia, Here We Come!

We're in the final days of prepping for our big adventure. Can't give you the dates yet, as they are unconfirmed, but we expect to leave a week from today and be gone for close to three weeks! We are able to stay longer as we will only stay in a hotel 1-2 nights. The rest of it will be relying on the kindness of Siberian friends.

If you are one of the generous souls who donated to the orphanage cause - thank you! Still trying to raise about $2,000 for the kids. I so want to purchase bikes for them, as well as a DVD player and lots of Disney films and inspirational movies.  (Have to buy them in country, of course.) The kids spend so much time stuck inside in the winter months, I want them to have something to watch!

If you want to donate a few dollars, you can use the paypal button on the top left of this page. I'll only be leaving that up until the trip is completed. It's not the end of the world if I don't raise the full amount, but it would be exciting! Can you imagine us driving up with a van full bikes, sports equipment, a dvd player, and enough brand new toys that we hand each and every child their very own?  If you are wondering how a dvd player will work  -- I bought them a really nice TV two trips ago, so I'm hoping it still is faring well. Here is a photo of the first batch of toys we bought last week.

My goal is to hand every single one of the 100 children a toy of their own. We just bought more today, but can't fit anymore due to baggage restrictions, so I'll have to rely on the one toy store in their region for the rest! We've decided that we must fit all our personal belongings in our backpacks, so our baggage is  freed up for only orphanage donations.

Today, the manager at Target gave us a 10% discount when I told him what all the toys were for! What a nice guy! Anyway, gotta go pack!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Target! Im excited for you (and for the kids!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you please post a link to your paypal again. I'd love to donate, but haven't been able to find a working link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diana, I just figured out how to add a paypal button to my blog! I feel so smart...lol! Anyway, the website for Anya is experiecing some weird stuff, so I thought it best to post a buttom here. I don't want people picking up viruses on my account!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walmart was generous with a discount (20%) when I bought crayons, pencils and pens for the orphanage as well. Those boxes went out a week ago yesterday by the way - two identical boxes.

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!