‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Mantras, Quotes, and Things I Live By


For some reason I feel compelled tonight to share some of the words I live by -- a few quotes that have worked their way into my soul and keep home there. These are words that comfort me and buoy me up, and challenge me daily to be better than I am. They speak for themselves, so I'll just post them without any commentary, but feel free to comment with your own linguistic talismans:)


"Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." ~ T.H. Thompson

" To understand all is to forgive all." ~ author unknown, old French saying.

"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." ~Rudyard Kipling

"When you say a situation or a person is hopeless, you're slamming a door in the face of God." ~C.L. Allen

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." ~Mother Teresa

"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one." ~Mother Teresa

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world. " ~Mahatma Gandhi


OK, now tell me about yours.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:58 AM

    My favorite quote is Oscar Wilde's and reminds me that the beauty of life is in its complexity: 'The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." unknown

    "I get up. I walk. I fall down. meanwhile, I keep dancing." Millel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have quite a few that seem to have escaped my mind at the moment. The most frequent one lately is "this too shall pass...".

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are good! I needed this today

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite. I don't know who said it.

    'Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made peace with insecurity - because there is no security of any kind. - Dick Van Dyke

    If I boast, let me boast in filthy rags made clean. - Mercy Me, "Crazy"

    So conditioned for the win / to share in victors' stories / but in the place of ambition's din / I've heard of other glories. . . I won't pretend to know what's next / but what I have I've offered. - Sara Groves, "The Long Defeat"

    Love is an action, not a philosophy. Just do it. - me

    You embody that last one so beautifully, Keri. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!