‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Birth Parents

Anastasia is fortunate to have contact with her maternal grandmother. We found her, along with Anastasia's sister, back in December 0f '05. In April '06 we met her, and she gave us this photo of Anastasia's birthparents. Alex, her birth father, holds baby Anya (Anastasia's older sister.) Oksana, her birthmother, holds a small bouquet of roses. This was taken the day they left the hospital with their firstborn, Anya.

I feel so lucky to be able to have this little part of my daughter's story. Just seeing her in their faces is a gift. She has her birthmom's eyes and nose. She has her birthfather's lips and hands and coloring. I can't help feeling a great sense of loss when I see this photo, too. Although they are not smiling in the photo, I imagine the hope they must have felt bringing Anya home. I know they did not envision what was to happen two years down the road. Sometimes when I look at this photo, I weep.

Anastasia gave me permission to post this photo for three days. She said she wants my online friends to see it, but she doesn't want it there forever. So, here is the photo. It will be taken down on Saturday.
[PHOTO REMOVED, SORRY!]

Thank you Alex and Oksana for choosing life. Thank you for the gift of your girls. I know it is not the life you planned for them, but in your greatest suffering, my greatest joy was born. I am grateful to you for eternity. May God bless you and keep you. I so look forward to the day when we will all be reunited together, and I can embrace you both and share with you all the joy your daughters have brought me. You have my forever gratitude and love.



5 comments:

  1. I have a few pictures of two of my kids birthparents and my kids certainly treasure them. Thanks for sharing, Anya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pctures say so much and it means allot to me that you have shared this one with us. My sister adopted a boy from Chetchnia(sp?). I do not speak to her now but last I knew they were all well. It is good to follow your story. jeNN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:30 PM

    I love this picture, and I can see the resemblance. You're so lucky to have this connection to the more positive parts of Anastasia's past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful photo! I often think of Jupiter's birthmother with the same gratitude you speak of in your post..I am grateful beyond words to Marina for giving my daughter life, and then giving her to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful picture. Please tell Anastasia that she was very courageous for allowing you to post it :).

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!