‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Some Wishes Do Come True


Just before each New Year, I write my "Coming Into My Life" list. It is a simple list of things I want in my life for the next year. I post it over my desk and I check off items/happenings that manifest in my life over the year. It's always amazing to me how many wishes come true. Being a spiritual person, I usually commit the list to God - a kind of figurative handing over of the list into His hands. I let the list be whatever it chooses to be -- no limits or censors on what can be on there. I'm going to be brave and post my 2008 list, even though it was written for my eyes only. It's just that so many things on the list came true, I thought it might inspire some of you to make your own list! You may think some things on the list are weird or even selfish, but remember I wrote it for myself only. It wasn't meant to be inspiring, just an honest reflection of what I desired. Here it is. I colored and put stars next to the ones that came true this year!

Coming Into My Life!

Anya, by year’s end
Kind, gentle adoption support*
Anastasia genuinely happy*
Mom happy & moved on from grieving*
Affordable health insurance
Peace in my heart*
More invitations to make a difference***
A man who loves me and whom I love
Beautifully painted rooms*
A yard lush with plants, trees and flowers
Happy letters from far away*
New, unique, delightful friends**
Old friends returning*
New babies in the family*
Poems and manuscripts I wrote*
Lazy, gentle, timeless days of joy***
New jobs I adore***
Speaking Russian perfectly
Lost weight, easily
Easy and lucrative Fall & Winter Programs*
Praise, support and pats on the back for work well done*
An Amazing Staff*
money in the bank*
Unexpected hugs from little ones*
Happy Gatherings in my House*
A brand new couch to replace the sagging one
A Love of Cooking
Invitations to Travel*
Reconnection with my brothers*
Continued closeness with Dad*
Obama as President***
LOVE!*

Out of 32 wishes, 24 came true! And some were long-shots -- like new babies in the family and Obama as President! Now I will write a new list, keeping the 8 that have yet to come true, and adding new ones. I will post the new list above my computer on January 1st and wait to see what happens! If you have the time, type up your own list of wishes and share it with me...at least the ones you feel comfortable sharing.

As we say goodbye to 2008, let's welcome in 2009 with open arms and grateful, expectant hearts. May God/Goddess/Great Spirit/ Alla/Jehovah/Creator/Love (or whatever you choose to call Him) bless you beyond measure in the coming year!

2 comments:

  1. That's a great list! Here's to another great, wish-filled year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I'm gonna try it...:) Three Cheers for 2009!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!