‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Spring Standards


I guess I'm on a roll. A laziness roll, that is. Well, I can rationalize that blogging is not a lazy endeavor, right? So, although I find myself hiding at home in my pjs again, hanging out with my daughter, even watching some mindless television...if I blog about it, it becomes something of value in a way.

Last night I had a rare night out. Rare because if you are mom to a child with RAD and PTSD you can never count on seeing through any plans you make. It is a minute by minute negotiating of life. I know many RAD moms know exactly what I mean. Well, last night a miracle occurred. I was invited to go and see some new friends of mine perform at Club939 in Boston, and, lo and behold, my daughter was ok with my going. In three years of being her mom, this has happened, well, never. My daughter is almost sixteen, but in many ways is far younger than that (which is fine with me!) but it does make grown-up time almost non-existent. Anyway, the Spring Standards were performing, and all my favorite people were going, and I made the effort despite exhaustion, and mild "going into the city" anxiety.

I drove my young friend Zoe in, and we took the T part of the way. There was an opening performer, Liz Longley who had the voice of a been-around-the-block angel. I even bought her CD. And then Heather and James and James took the stage, and it was like a visit to a better, brighter world. I don't even really know how to define their music. If I had to, I'd say combine folk, blue-grass, a pinch of pop, a dash of alternative, some Ben Fold-ish lyrics, Ween-like melodies, Peter,Paul & Mary harmonies..and you might have an idea of what they create. I was entranced. They were on Conan O'Brien recently. Good. More of the world needs to hear them. Truly.

So, today I am just revelling in the joy of last night's escape. And being a bit too lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!