‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Friday, June 17, 2011

Today's Unrelenting Distraction

Having ADD is a blessing and a curse. If you didn't know this already, a large number of Fortune 500 CEOs have ADD or ADHD. So do an inordinate number of successful entrepreneurs. People with ADD are great at thinking outside the box, forging new paths, and bucking the system in a myriad of creative ways. I fit into that category. The hard part is, there is a challenging side to ADD , too. Its the one most people think about when they hear "ADD". It's 'distractability'. And it's often a curse. Take today. I have a hundred thousand things on my to-do list, but my mind keeps drifting to something not on the list. Over and over again. Non-stop. Unrelenting. Believe me, I've tried. So in an effort to quiet this little uncooperative sliver of my brain, I'm going to indulge it for 15 minutes, here in my blog, and hope it will have the decency to let me get back to my to-do list!

So, here is today's obsession distraction: I can't stop thinking of that little house in the village. You know, the one I want to buy but haven't yet? The one that I have no clear purpose for yet, but feel drawn to save up for? The little home above the orphanage that may serve as a half-way house/job training/ volunteer housing/ safe place for kids aging out? Yes, that place. In fact, I've been so obsessed, I've started creating a little vision book for it. (A vision book is something we use in theatre to help us create and envision the world of the play we are creating.) In this case, my vision book is to help me envision our little Russian Dacha in remote Siberia.
It might look like this:

or maybe this...

Maybe it'll have a porch, like this...
and a sweet little bedroom like this...

There will be the requisite icon corner in the main room...

and of course, an outhouse like this...
this is an actual one in Siberia!
And a table outdoors for the quintessential Russian Dacha meals...

I can see everything clear as day. You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one!!!

A very fancy, fairy-tale dacha near St Petersburg.


3 comments:

  1. Oh, I am sooooo there. When I win the lottery you'll have yours, I'll have mine, across the way.

    The missionary Alexei Kotchan envisioned something of the kind in Ivanovo, and even purchased the land. He felt that the kids who ended up in the city ended up tempted and in trouble, so he had farmers and craftspeople in mind to help teach those skills.

    Makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of this often as well. Would be nice to buy it and remodel with some western amenities like a flush toilet to a septic tank. We will really need a local to help get things done. The biggest issue will be supplies. We can probably get hands to do the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking at this post again. Oh...... But, I don't think I want the western amenitites; I'd rather acustom myself to doing with less, and enjoying the natural pleasures like that healthy meal.

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!