‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Update on Anya's Situation

Anya sleeping (Christmas 2009) So sweet.

Lots to share but not much time to share it. But you, my blog friends, have been so supportive these past few years, and I want to keep you updated.

What I Am Doing to Get Her Here ASAP - Angels are starting to appear:) Tomorrow morning I meet with one of them - an immigration attorney who is going to walk me through all the humanitarian parole paperwork. I need to get it in as soon as possible. I also have contacted every hospital and medical person I can think of. ( and so have a few of my friends) I need to have an orthopedic surgeon who is willing to treat Anya for free once she is here. I need him/her to put that in writing for the HP form supporting documents. We are trying to get that by tomorrow evening.

I also need proof all her medical costs will be covered by someone or some organization. Any ideas? They will not approve her visa if I cannot prove it will all be paid for. any advice from those in the know is appreciated.

Much more going on, but these are the major steps I am taking in the next 24 hours.
How Anya is Doing Physically - Not very well. And I know prayer works, so please, please offer up prayers for her stability and healing. She had another surgery and is getting another blood transfusion. She is now on oxygen and was moved to the Russian equivalent of ICU. She still has a fever, and she is unable to have visitors or calls or even use her computer for now. I have the doctor's email and he will update me if anything major changes. I am hoping to talk to an orthopedic surgeon here who can tell me if her ankle can be fixed in any way. The Russian Doctor says no, but I want 2nd , 3rd and 4th opinions.

How Anya is Doing Mentally/Emotionally - Anya is a very resilient girl. She seemed restless and frustrated when we video-chatted with her, but she was also heavily medicated so it was hard to tell. What I do know is that once she is not so medicated is when things get difficult. Anya is the most stubborn person I have ever met. If she does not want to do something, there is no one and no thing that can make her do it. Believe me, I've tried, and I am VERY persuasive. Anya hates being idle and 'bored'. She is always trying to get away from herself. Having to spend months in a hospital bed will not appeal to her. I know she will try to leave the hospital when she thinks she is well enough. She is street smart, but VERY naive. It is not a good combination. She will think she knows better than the doctor when she is well. This concerns me. I want to find ways to keep her mind occupied, so she will stay put. She loves to draw and listen to music, so that may help, but she doesn't like to read, and there is no tv there. I'm wracking my brain for simple things she can do to keep her motivated and occupied once she is out of ICU and in a normal hospital room.

I'll keep you all posted as I learn more. In the meantime, please send a card if you can (address in my last post.) I want to tell her when I next skype with her that countless cards are on their way. It will give her something to look forward to.

As always, please pray that she is brought home swiftly and surely. It is my deepest and most hoped for desire. May it be so.

8 comments:

  1. We will definitely add Anya to our prayers. I am guessing that they may have to amputate her foot just above the ankle :( I will pray that her ankle can be fixed and that this will not have to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a lot of ideas...but the big hospitals here (Boston) seem to like the good press that comes from treatment of exceptional patients - either the procedure is new/radical or the story is compelling. Consider the press on the face transplants. Good press is always a good thing for a hospital, so I'd look for an in to the ortho surgical departments at MGH, B&W, Children's, etc. Or at least put together something slick to send to them. Or get your media contacts involved, since they'd be the ones giving the press. You still have anyone over at the Globe? Sadly, my reclusive status means my network is fairly lame, so I don't know anyone personally - but I'll ask around, as I know people who ARE networked (better, at least!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri - I don't know if this will help or not but I asked anyone and everyone I know to write a letter, make a card, share Anya's story. I contacted my children's Art teacher and their Sensei at their dojo and they both agreed to spread the word to their students to see if we can put together a package of encouraging letters and cards.

    I also wrote a letter to WBZ's Call to Action. I don't know if you already did that, but sometimes if they have repeated requests they may be more willing to listen.

    Finally, I wanted to let you know that I work at South Shore Hospital and am going to ask my boss if there is any way the hospital might be able to offer the services of an orthopedic doctor to assist Anya.

    I will let you know if I hear anything. Meanwhile, know I am thinking about your precious Anya and hope that her sister is handling the news okay.

    Kind thoughts,
    Sheri Turner, mom to Allison, Christopher and Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any good ideas, but you all are in my thoughts.
    I've spent last night and today reading you whole blog, and I can't say anything else then you're really doing a great job helping the kids.

    We have a son, adopted from St.Petersburg and we've sent some things to the children's home where he used to stay. But from the photos and stories you have shared, I can't say anything else then my son had it good where he was, all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you contacted the organization Healing the Children? They not only work in getting the visas and getting the children here but they have medical staff, hospitals, therapists, basically any type of medical organization you need that volunteers to treat children from all around the world that need medical care. I have been a host family for the organization in NJ for almost 10 years now and we have had children from all over the world and they work wonders. They arrange all medical care, surgery, post care and therapies with no cost all by donations of the drs and hospitals. Contact them and see what they can do

    ReplyDelete
  6. I realize I forgot to say the organization works with tons of orthopedic doctors. Just in the last 2 years we have had 3 toddlers who have had to have amputations and prostethics and they did wonderful thanks to the skilled doctors who volunteered. You can email me at triciajcg85@gmail.com if you have any questions

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a link someone gave me this week. I haven't read all about it yet, but thought I'd share it in case it gives you some help or ideas. http://www.worldpediatricproje​ct.org/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, dear Keri....I cannot imagine what you are going through - and while I pray for Anya, I pray for you, too. "Taking it easy", indeed!

    Your description of Anya sounds so much like Ilya. Could she watch movies or TV on her laptop?

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!