‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Anya's Pregnancy

Anya with her neighbor's baby.
There is much to update about Anya and her pregnancy, so I'm trying to discipline myself to write even though I'm still having significant 'procrastinational' tendencies with regards to blogging. 

I received a message from the girls' distance cousin, Oksana, whom Anya often stays with. She wrote to tell me that Anya has been told to be on bedrest for the time being, so she will be staying with Oksana for the foreseeable future. Oksana reports that she has taken Anya to the govt offices to try to secure her a permanent home. I don't know much about assistance for someone like Anya after age 21, but I have heard that - now that she is pregnant - the govt will work a little more diligently to get her a roof over her head. Oksana also asked if I could send funds to buy Anya a bed, as she cannot fit on the fold-out one I bought her a few years back; she's gained that much weight with this baby!

I'm anxious to get over there and see how she is doing for myself. Anya has never been very forthcoming about her needs, mostly due to pride, but I'm hopeful she'll accept more help than she usually does, for the baby's sake.

I hadn't thought of how difficult it is going to be for her caring for a baby on her own, until Nastia asked for help creating an online baby registry. Suddenly, the significance of this situation came into sharp focus, and I felt completely overwhelmed at what lies ahead. Anya is not emotionally equipped to care for a child, so let's hope she learns quickly and will listen to advice.

Anya went back to the doctor for an ultrasound after I begged and sent her money to do so. She found out she is having a girl and that she is due closer to the middle of August (about the 15th). If we were wealthy, I'd go rent an apartment there again for several months, to support Anya - but aside from money issues, there are others, and so I can only visit this month and hope I'll get back to meet the baby within a year. Nastia has already told me she plans to sell all her artwork when we get back in June so that she can go back and stay for a month or more. Although I am strongly opposed, she keeps reminding me that she is an adult now and that I can't really dictate what she does. I wish there were a sliding scale for the onset of adulthood - I'd push Nastia's up to 25, just to be safe!

I'll post the link to Nastia's online baby shower, in case any of you want to participate. Oksana gave me an address that items can be sent to for Anya in Kemerovo, but the address doesn't make sense and I have to have some Russian friends take a look at it before I share it.

If you are the praying kind like me, please take some time to pray for Anya - her wisdom and peace through this challenging time. Pray too for the baby who will be here far too soon, and for her resiliency and health. I'm cautiously optimistic that good things will come of this. I've seen God turn outrageously challenging situations into something incredibly beautiful. I'm trusting that this will be one of those!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:23 PM

    Hi sometimes I read your blog. I was originally from Novosibirsk Russia. Anya can try and seek help in catholic organization http://caritas-siberia.org/index.php?id=23&L=2 . Sometimes they can provide housing for young mothers, and help with the food.I don't know if they have homes for young mothers where she lives but in Novosibirsk there is 2 of them "Golubka" and "Materinskaya Obitel" they accept girls from Siberia region http://caritas-siberia.org/en/families/mutter-kind-heime/novosibirsk.html phone# (383)317-65-47 Novosibirsk. Hope this can help some how. With regards Mila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mila! I'm going to try contacting them now!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:54 PM

    you are welcome. Just remember time difference and I don't know if they speak English. Let me know if it work out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even realize she was pregnant- I thought I was a faithful reader. Wow- I hope this works out, and will try to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:53 AM

    I really have missed a lot! Wow. Praying for all of you and what needs to happen for it all to come together. Praying for Anya's baby as well. So glad you are continuing to love orphans and work with them no matter where they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this scares me, as I see it all close up. How I wish you could start your Siberian Shakespeare Academy about now. We should pray for a lottery win. I am keeping all of you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!