‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Friday, November 09, 2012

Joyful Happenings:)

I usually shy away from purely informational posts; I'm always afraid I'll bore you! But I continue to get encouragement from people reading this blog to post updates, so I defer to them!

I guess what I'd like to share is that even when many frustrating or even sad occurrences are happening in our lives, we can still find great pockets of joy and delight. Sure D and Anya are not home -- and that is a daily burden on my heart -- but I need not focus all my attention there. if it would help, I would of course! But it doesn't. So, best to lean into joy while you wait for obstacles to clear. Nastia and I found a particularly wonderful way to lean into joy this month -- we are fostering kittens and two cats for the Northeast Animal Shelter! We signed up to foster about a month ago, survived their interview process, and a few nights ago we received our first call! Here are our little ones:

The photo isn't great as I took it with my phone. But at least you can get a glimpse of them! There are five kittens - three black and two gray - and they are 4-5 weeks old. They were found abandoned outdoors along with their nursing mom and her sister (they think.) The mom was pretty emaciated, poor thing. But they are doing really well now that they've been here three days and nights. We have them sequestered in our Anya/Dasha/Daniel/Daniella room. We removed everything but the furniture, and placed lots of towels and bathmats on the floor. They are having a grand old time in there. And they are so much fun to watch.

As sweet as the kittens are, I've fallen in love with the Momma and her sister. I don't think I've ever met such sweet cats. I've been reading up on Russian Blues ( their breed) and it turns out that this is typical for the breed - kind, sweet, social, affectionate, smart. They are a delight to care for and I find myself in the room with them more than out! Here is the Momma and her sister:



If I didn't already have two cats, I'd be keeping these girls for sure! anyway, its alot of work to care for 7 new cats in addition to our already large menagerie, but its so worth it.

If that weren't enough to make this week fantastic, I'm also falling deeper and deeper in love with my new students at the school for at-risk teens I'm currently working at. Although I have always loved my job, I haven't always found it easy to get up at 6am. But these days? I am out of bed the second my alarm goes off, because I know I'll be headed to those kids. I can't share much  about them but the basics, for their privacy's sake - but they are all 16-22 years old, mostly homeless, and all have trauma backgrounds that are heartbreaking to hear about. It's taken a good month and a half to win their trust, but I *think* I'm finally there. We are working on scenes from Romeo & Juliet, and they are really starting to connect to the text and enjoy it. next week I start bringing in the weapons (stage ones,of course) to start choreographing their fight scenes. The boys are pretty excited about that, though they told me they already know how to wield knives -- "Yo, we teach YOU something. You'll see.." I've also been offered a more permanent role at the school. Can you guess my response?

Despite their tough exteriors and threatening looks, these students are incredibly resourceful, thoughtful, and passionate kids. I can't wait to see them experience the rush of being on stage, having a whole audience listen to them and take them in. They need that.

Other than this, its getting ready for Daniella's arrival, teaching my non-school classes, and trying to keep the house clean!

Hope you all are well!


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:58 AM

    So happy to hear your news about the kitties and your work! Yes, please continue to share these things. It is wonderful that in spite of your many, many setbacks, you can put it all in perspective and see the joy in this. You must also be filled with joy over your upcoming hosting plans. Continued good thoughts and prayers are with you! Debby_in_MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cayte9:38 AM

    So great to hear happy news from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Keri, I can't think of a better role for you than right where you are. Lots and lots and lots of love from up North.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:00 AM

    Awwww, they are all so cute, cats and kittens!! Glad to hear good news from you. When does Daniella arrive?
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post!!!

    Nastia must just be loving the kittens :) momma and sister are just beautiful! Do you think your cats can tell there's others in the house, hopefully no territorial "messes" occur. That's a lot of kitties! Lol

    Very exciting about the job, it sounds so fulfilling and I totally agree the confidence in success it will be for any kids but yours especially...a beautiful thing to behold I'm sure.

    Thanks for posting, I'm so glad to hear about the good things in your family's life

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!