‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Family-versary

I have to make this quick -- Nastia is upstairs cuddled in her bed waiting for me. We just got back from her favorite restaurant -- celebrating what happened exactly six years ago tonight. On May 16, 2005 at a little after nine in the morning, Nastia and walked out of a Kemerovo courtroom as a family. The dream I had wished and hoped for my entire life was finally a speakable truth - I was a mother.
Moments after the judge declaring us a family. May 16, 2005.
The day was sunny and cloudless and relatively warm, for Siberia. I remember exactly what we both wore, where we sat, what was said. I remember my brother seated behind me and seeing the tears in his eyes when the judge made her decree. I remember talking to my Dad on the phone directly afterwards and telling both my parents they had just become grandparents for the first time in their lives. Nastia spoke briefly to them, simply saying 'hi' and 'how are you?' (My Dad passed away unexpectedly a few weeks later, so knowing he got to share in this day, if even just by phone, is very special to me.)

It's hard to put into words what this day means to both of us. I know I can't, but I at least wanted to share my joy. I am a very lucky mom - mother to a wonderfully complicated, passionate, opinionated, stubborn, funny, child-like, courageous and oh-so-lovable daughter. I wouldn't trade one step of our often arduous journey for all the rubles in Russia. We fit together so perfectly, there is simply no way to ignore that our coming together was part of a divine plan, not authored by us. I thank God every day for my little girl, now not so little. I love her more than I can possibly say.


My beautiful girl today. May 2011.

8 comments:

  1. Nast is certainly growing in beauty and grace. Blessings, Keri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy family-versary to you both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 6 years!!!!! We just celebrated 5 with Erika... Nastia is so beautiful, and has grown up so much!!!! I still remember when you posted about her taping candy canes to the walls for your first or second,(can't remember) Christmas. LOL
    Congratulations! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! Just simply beautiful! Lots of luck to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your milestone! Beautiful picture of Nastia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy famiversary!!! I didn't realize we were in Russia at the same time...our six year anniversary for court was Friday the 13th. Tomorrow is the six anniversary of the day I took her home with me......takes me way back to Russia. The weather in Siberia was beautiful in 2005 too....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the update, great to see your girl grow over time. I know you are busy getting ready for your trip, thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, hug and kiss Genya!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!