‘What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men …… That is what love looks like.’ - St. Augustine

Friday, July 02, 2010

FYI :Please Read

Thank you to all the readers who have expressed interested in helping D to get adopted or inquired about adopting her themselves! Part of hosting is advocating for these children, and we do intend to help in any way that NHFC sees fit. 

However, I need to clarify that D is not currently available for adoption. I will post in the future if she becomes available, but she is not even on the database, and she also has multiple siblings which may complicate any adoption. 

Lastly,  I have every intention of adopting her if it becomes a possibility in the future. As most of us know, adoption laws change as often as the weather. The 'no single parent adoption' rule in Ukraine is a new law and it was highly contested.  Of course our priority is D finding a family when she becomes available for adoption, and if she becomes available and the law does not change, we will advocate for her in every way possible. If there are families interested, they would need to be a Christian family according to the host agency. And in my opinion, they would really need to be experienced with older child adoption or  at least knowledgeable about it. D is a true sweetheart, but the things I do not post on this blog are the challenging behaviors. This blog is primarily for Nastia and I to chronicle our time with her so that she can someday have a record of her time with us. I do not, therefore, post everything we are experiencing. D is very challenging, and she will need a strong parent that will commit 1,000 percent to her. I believe she would NOT do well in a family with younger children, and will need quite a bit of one on one time with at least one parent for many, many months. A family adopting D would need to have one parent full-time at home. Trust me. It would be in D's best interest to be the youngest in a family, and I have told this to NHFC as well.

Anyway, I did not want to mislead anyone. Yes, the hope is that this hosting experience will help D to find  family, but currently she is not legally free for adoption. We have committed to hosting her again at Christmas time and I will know more then.

Thank you for listening!

3 comments:

  1. I am SO glad God blessed me with calm, even placid children....both by birth and adoption. I think He knew what I could handle. You don't sound phased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing woman! I do hope God opens the way for Dasha to find her forever family...and that you will somehow be included in that plan.

    Any of us who live with challenging kids don't need an accouting of "behaviors." We already know what they are :-). So, even though I don't know anything about your situation, or about Dasha, as a mom who lives with another challenging kid, I will back what you said 100%. I think any other person who's raising hurt kids will do the same. Don't let the adorable face and smile fool you. There is a lot of pain and hurt lurking behind it and these kids need people who are strong enough to handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keri, I didn't realize you would have Dasha again at Christmas time! Hopefully that will make letting her go in August a TINY bit easier ... knowing that you will see her again. Are there other ongoing visits that are part of the plan?

    ~ Carrie Van Brunt

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say? Leave a comment!